Welcome to Mellerstain
One of Scotland’s finest stately homes, this outstanding Georgian mansion house set in acres of parkland is a unique example of Adam design, begun in 1725 by Scottish architect William Adam and completed in 1778 by his more famous son, Robert. Some say this is one of Robert Adam’s finest works.
• Admire the classical perfection throughout this ‘stunning’ Adam house.
• View the fine art (Aikman, Gainsborough, Ramsay, van Dyck), embroidery, china and furniture collections.
• Relax in acres of parkland with prize winning gardens and lakeside/ woodland walks.
• Visit our Hebridean spring lambs in the East Paddock.
• Picnic as the kids have fun in the playground.
• Treat yourself in the coffee shop.
• Holiday with us in our self-catering cottages.
Guided tours, group visits and private events by prior appointment.
Approx 20 mins from the historic town of Melrose & Kelso/ 1 hour from Edinburgh & Berwick-upon-Tweed.
2015 Seasonal Opening – May to 28 September (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon)
House: 12.30pm – 5pm (last entry 4.15pm)
Gardens: 11.30am – 5pm
Coffee shop: 11.30am – 4.30pm
House & Garden: £8.50 adult/ £4.00 child/ under 5’s free.
Gardens only: £5.00 adult/ £2.50 child/ under 5’s free.
Garden season tickets: £9.00 adult/ £4.00 child/ £20.00 family (2 adults, 3 child max.) Valid 1 May to 28 Sept on open days.
HHA & ASVA membership accepted.
National Art Pass – 25% discount on house & gardens entry.
Guide dogs only in the house/ dogs welcome within the grounds on leads. Outdoor footwear recommended for the grounds and parkland. No photography/ filming in the house.
Access is available to the main floor, lower floor and garden terrace. Please note there is limited access to the remaining gardens & grounds. Disabled WC facilities are available on the lower floor and in the Courtyard.
How to Reach Mellerstain
The house is signposted on the A6089 Kelso-Gordon road. The approach from the A68 Jedburgh-Edinburgh road is through Earlston on the A6105, then via the B6397 towards Smailholm. Approx 1 hour from Edinburgh & Berwick-upon-Tweed.